Thursday, November 5, 2009

[Preview] The diary of Ferrucio Espada

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Ferrucio Espada and his Dear Diary

Day 5 of NaNoWriMo. I am at 14,109 words with 6 chapters and still building the background story around Orpesia in general.

I've finally set the pace to talk about the voyage of Ferrucio Espada which will inadvertently lead him to discover the New World. To help me paint a better picture of it all, I've been researching about Christopher Columbus.

I just realized that there are a lot of similarities drafted with the fictional character of Mr. Espada with that of 'ol Chris, although the circumstances or the story behind their similar discovers were somewhat different.

And yes, Pioneers, the Pinta did exist. It was one of the fleets that sailed with Columbus in the 15th century.

Since good 'ol Chris kept a seafarer's diary to chronicle his perilous adventure out in the ocean, I thought maybe I should give Mr. Espada similar treatment as well. And without further ado, here's a short preview of Mr. Espada's Dear Diary moments. XD

Today, we ran at about 7 ½ knots, sometimes at 9 knots. Approximately, we made 177 miles, but I told the crew 132 miles; it seems they cannot stand it any longer. They mutter incoherent things under their breaths, yet I know that they mock and slander me for dragging them to this long voyage. I accuse them for their lack of spirit and their deliberate disobedience to me, their captain. I had to tell them repeatedly of the oaths they swore before the king to see to the end of this mission. I tried to lift their spirits as best as I could, telling them all about the rewards we will all reap once we accomplish our task, but to no avail.

They said it was insanity on their part to risk their lives, regretting the very pledge about swearing allegiance to me in this journey. Some feel that they have already reached the point in the voyage where no man has gone before and are thus not required to go to the end of the world with such dwindling provisions and lack of resources for the trip back home.

Some of my trusted men (who continue to dwindle in number as we go about this perilous quest) told me that if I continue to persist, the men will throw me into the sea when I am asleep. They will then craft this tale that I fell overboard while taking the position of the North Star with my maps.

There are times when I had to bite back my tongue in agreement to their complaints; I too feel that this journey has been an act of lunacy on my desire to embark on a new adventure. As much as I love a good exploration as any sailor, I do not want it to be at the expense of these men whose families are still awaiting their return back home. Yet, I am confident that if I lose command of this expedition, the flotilla will never reach Katai, and will most probably never make it back to Oporuto.

I still pray to God that He will give me the strength and the perseverance to see through all this and show us the way.

No comments: